Dymock 1st XI v Witcombe 1st XI

Posted by on Jun 14, 2018 in Match Reports, News | Comments Off on Dymock 1st XI v Witcombe 1st XI

By Ed Buchan

Tied game as Harry Wise dominates

Dymock vs. Witcombe – Saturday 9th June 2018

Captain Andy Bevan won the toss and elected to bat on a good looking pitch as the sun looked on from above. Ed Buchan and York Senior opened the batting setting a good platform before Senior (8) was caught by Justin Forgan off the bowling of opener Josh Carter (1/56). This brought the captain to the crease and a change in ploy by opposition skipper Forgan who decided that taking pace off to the danger man was the way to go. And it worked as Bevan was caught behind by George Gladding attempting to cut a ball too close off the bowling of Sachin Kulkarni (2/64) for 3. This brought Harry Wise to the crease with the score at 44/2. Wise started swiftly quickly getting into the 20s early on. Not long before drinks Buchan was dropped by Forgan on 49. The single taken getting Buchan to his 50. At drinks Dymock were 98/2. Buchan wasn’t able to capitalise on his life and was bowled playing a horrible shot at a full straight ball by Ben Morgan (1/39) for 58. James Field (44) was the next man in and with Wise managed to push the score on for Dymock with both batsmen finding the boundary regularly. Field was eventually out bowled by Kulkarni trying to attack the spinner. Jake Jones (18) was the next man, batting at 6 alongside Wise who accelerated towards the end of the innings with some aggressive running between the wickets. It was during this partnership that Wise brought up his hundred, his first for Dymock. Jones was bowled by Forgan (1/56) with 3 balls remaining in the innings. Dave Williams took 1 off his only ball faced allowing Wise to dispatch the last ball for a long straight 6. Harry Wise finished on a terrific 128 not out having struck 20 4s and 2 6s. Dymock finished on 272/5 hitting 174 in the second half of the innings to set their total.

The start of Witcombe’s innings went to plan for Dymock as Matt Barratt removed Clive Fletcher for 4 when he was bowled. This however brought danger man Mark Fuller to the crease as Fuller and Sam Carter moved Witcombe into a dominant position. Dymock eventually got the breakthrough when James Field (2/54) removed Fuller LBW for 60. This was followed up by removing the other set batsman, Carter for 100. Harry Wise (1/36) having dominated with the bat removed his pads and had a bowl. Wise removed Gladding (14) caught by York Senior. The game came down to the final over with Witcombe requiring 1 to win. Matt Barratt was the bowler. 2nd ball Barratt removed Kulkarni (4) caught and bowled. 4th ball Noddy calmly ran out Dan Binding for 5. 5th ball a scare as Barratt had a ball nip back between the batsman and leg stump. Only the left ankle of replacement keeper Ed Buchan keeping Dymock in the game. Final ball, the ball goes through to Buchan who runs up removing the bails with Graham White (0) comfortably out of his crease. Matt Barratt had helped bowl a triple wicket maiden finishing with figures of 2/22. Witcombe finished on 272/8.

Match tied

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This